The Dragon is an industrial furnace designed for pottery and ceramic studios. And considering its features, it is surprisingly affordable.
The Dragon exudes power. Its 16,500 watts heat the 24” wide, 24” deep, 27” high interior to cone 10 with ample power to spare. Dropped, recessed grooves seat industrial-gauge elements.
Extra insulation saves energy and lengthens cooling. The 4” thick walls, top and door are made of 3” firebrick backed by 1” of ceramic fiber block insulation. The floor is 4 ½” thick firebrick. The extra insulation not only saves energy but also cools slowly. This gives the micro-crystalline structure and color of the glaze sufficient time for full development.
Long-lasting mercury relays power the elements. A bank of built-in NEC/UL compliant high-amperage fuses protects the kiln and circuit wiring. Potters who struggle with top-loading kilns will enjoy the Dragon. The door swings open wide on a heavy ¾” steel rod with sealed bearings. Two spring-loaded latches press the door tightly closed.
The 24” tall stand is also available with casters for easy moving. The stand is priced separately from the Dragon. Also available is the 8” tall stand, which comes with casters.
When ordering a Dragon, specify whether the stand is to ship separate from the Dragon or pre-installed and shipped as one unit.
The Dragon will fit through a 34” doorway if the handles and back element cover are temporarily removed.
Stainless steel finish
Orton Kiln Mount Vent, which mounts to the back of the kiln
- Saves electricity with extra insulation
- Cone 10, 2350°F
- 3” insulating firebrick and 1” non-organic block insulation in walls, top and door: 4” total thickness
- 4 ½” thick firebrick bottom
- 9 cubic foot Interior: 24" wide x 24" deep x 27" tall
- Long-lasting mercury relays
- Type K thermocouple with ¼” sheath, or optional Type-S
- Sentry 2.0 controller with programmed cool-down
- Case temperature at cone 10: 170°F (compared to 400-500°F for standard firebrick kilns)
- Two tapered peepholes in side
- UL/CUL & NEC compliant fuses for safety
- Available in 200, 208, 220, 240, 480 v, 1 & 3 phase
- Proportional power elements for more even heating
The Furniture Kit
The furniture kit consists of carefully selected fireclay shelves and posts for this particular model. When estimating the price of the kiln, include the cost of furniture. The furniture allows you to stack multiple layers of ware. Without it, you could fire only the ware that would fit on the kiln bottom.
Dragon Furniture Kit
1 C-30 Shelf
4 - C30H ½ Shelf
1½” wide Square Posts, 8 each of -
4”, 6”, 8” lengths
1 lb. Bag Kiln Wash
Furniture Kit Shipping Weight: 130 lbs.