Paragon Fusion-8 Glass Fusing Kiln
The 8-sided Fusion-8 will open a world of creativity for you. Fire silk-screening on glass and decals, paint with frit and stringers, fuse recycled bottles. Experiment with glass weaving. Make kiln loads of glass pendants.
Even Heat Distribution from the Top and Sides
The Fusion-8 firebrick lid heating elements are seated in pinless grooves. A sidewall element, which is protected in recessed firebrick wall grooves, adds to temperature uniformity.
The standard insulating firebrick top can be upgraded to the optional deluxe ceramic fiber top. The fiber top is noted for keeping the kiln interior especially clean. Both tops have the same pinless element grooves.
18” Tall Stand, Galvanized Base Plate
An 18” tall stand comes standard with the Fusion-8. The stand raises the kiln to a comfortable height for loading and operation. A heavy galvanized steel base covers the reversible brick bottom completely. It folds up under the stainless case on all sides to strengthen the firing chamber. This is one more assurance that your Paragon kiln is built to last.
Optional Glass Window
Many people consider the optional high temperature glass 1” x 3” window to be indispensable. You can watch every stage of fusing and slumping, from softening, to tack fuse, to full fuse, through the window at your convenience. By watching the glass, even beginners can fine-tune a digital program for precise results. When you see the glass fuse the way you had envisioned, write down the temperature shown in the display for future firings. (Always wear firing safety glasses while watching the glass through the window. We recommend green #3 glasses.)
Dual Mechanical Relays
The Fusion-8 has dual mechanical relays for extra reliability. They send power to the elements on signal from the digital controller. Two relays last longer than the single relay of some competitive kilns because less amperage goes through each relay.
Optional Deluxe Mercury Relay
Order your new kiln with the quiet, reliable mercury relay instead of the standard mechanical relays. The life of a mercury relay has been measured in millions of on/off cycles. Mercury relays far outlast the standard mechanical relays and are optional on new kilns.
Basic Fusion-8 Features
The Fusion-8 is 11” deep and includes a heating element in the sidewalls. Enjoy enhanced heat control with fusing, slumping, and embossing. The Fusion-8 fires on 240 volts.
- Heating elements in top with pinless element groove
- Heating element in the sidewalls of the Fusion-8
- ¼” heavy duty sheathed Type-K thermocouple
- 2 ½” insulating refractory firebrick in walls and bottom; 3” firebrick lid
- Lock-in lid support
- Full-formed galvanized steel base
- Louvered switch box, heavy duty wiring
- Switch box is sloped for comfortable operation of the controller
- Tapered peephole with plug for a wide view
You will love the convenience of digital firing. The solid-state Sentry controller continually monitors the firing so you can spend your time cutting and designing glass without having to closely watch the kiln. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
Paragon’s innovative controller will help you achieve consistent results from one firing to the next. The controller has powerful features that you will enjoy using. Yet the controller is also user-friendly.
You can program the Sentry 12-key in seconds; enter the temperatures with a number key pad. Some of the exciting features of this controller:
- Temperature display in bright red throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Firing Cost: In Options, enter your cost of electricity and the amperage listed on the side of your kiln. After the kiln fires to completion, press the 8 key. The controller will show you the cost of electricity to fire that load.
- Rate: At the factory, we can configure your controller to show rate as degrees of temperature change per hour (the default), degrees of temperature change per minute, or elapsed time needed to reach a temperature.
- Stop/Back Key goes back one step with each key press during programming. Use this feature to correct programming errors.
- Add Time Key adds five minutes to a temperature hold with each key press during firing. Helpful for fusing glass--achieve the exact degree of fusing that you desire.
- Program Review lets you check that the program you are about to fire is correct.
- Audible Temperature Alarm to remind yourself to close a vented lid or to check the kiln near firing completion.
- 30 Month Sentry 12-key Controller Warranty
- Thermocouple Selection: The Sentry 2.0 can operate types K, S or R thermocouples.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, bad voltage, temperature deviation, etc.
- 14 Segment Display is easier to read than the previous 7 segment.
- Program Safety Lock for the program in active memory. Gives you peace of mind.
- Delay Fire: Set the time that the firing is to start. The kiln will turn on at that time.
- LED Lights show when the relays are powered.
- Quick Release Molex Connectors permit fast removal of the controller. Replacing the Sentry 2.0 or Sentry Xpress takes only minutes.
The thermocouple senses temperature inside the kiln. The Fusion-8 comes with the ¼” Type-K, which is hermetically sealed in a high-nickel metal sheath for long life.
Detailed Instruction Manuals
Included with your kiln is a 28-page controller instruction manual, a quick start programming guide, a 48-page glass manual, and blank firing record sheets. The manuals have been painstakingly researched and are written in plain English, printed in two colors, and are fully illustrated.
Wooden Crate at No Extra Charge
To reduce freight damage, Paragon ships the Fusion-8 in a custom-built, carrier-approved wooden crate rather than the cardboard box that some of our competitors use. Because Paragon is in the central U.S. along a major shipping route, our shipping cost is often lower than that of our competition. We pass this savings on to you.
Paragon Customer Support
When you buy a Paragon kiln, you become a family member of the Texas factory. Call us during business hours, and you will actually hear a live person at the factory. Should you ever need help, we are here long after the sale.
We are open from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Thursday. Our expanded hours allow us to serve customers in differing time zones. Not only can you phone us directly; we also have a wide network of repair technicians throughout the U.S.
And, of course, Paragon kilns are made in America by skilled workers. Fifty-one percent of them have been with Paragon for over a decade.
Kiln Comes with Heavy Duty Rolling Stand, 18” Square x 18” High
A deluxe kiln stand with locking casters is included with the kiln. Enjoy the convenience of rolling the kiln out of the way when it is not in use. The stand is rock solid. It fits together with interlocking components that assemble with one size of bolt. (Ships unassembled.)
The 18” tall stand raises the kiln to a convenient height for loading and unloading. Should you need a vent, merely slide the collection cup of an Orton vent into a mounting bracket on the top of the stand.
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
Have something good to say about the FUSION8 w 12 Key Sentry? Tell Us