Paragon SC-2 Silver & Glass Kiln
Ideal for Teachers
“I have traveled with my SC-2 for 11 years. I sometimes have to use welding gloves to put the warm kiln on a cart, take it outside, load it in the car, and wrap it in a wool blanket.
“I have traveled out of state with my SC-2 repeatedly. Fired it over and over again in class, burned up all manner of skewers, toothpicks, cork clay and more. The kiln can take it! While I'm sure the kiln wouldn't mind an easier life, it's doing fine.” –Elaine Luther of River Forest, Illinois, USA
Exciting Projects You Can Make
The heat of the kiln is magical and offers wonderful surprises. Stained glass, enamels, and ceramic glazes undergo a complete transformation in the kiln. Opening a kiln to view your treasures is a joy that you will never outgrow. Experiment with reactive glass colors, screen printing on glass, glass decals, painting with frit and stringers, glass pendants, the endless beauty of dichroic glass . . . the list goes on and on.
You can try the amazing Art Clay Silver, PMC silver clay, and even glass clay. Shape these clays with simple tools and fire them in the kiln. The digital SC-2 kiln fires china paint, enameling, and glass in minutes. Fire up to 2000°F. The SC-2 is popular with seminar teachers because it fires fast, plugs into a standard household outlet, ships by UPS, and is easy to sell.
A Proven Design
The SC-2 has been in production since 1997. It is a proven design that we have steadily refined every year. Thousands of artists in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Japan love their SC-2. The SC-2 is popular in art centers, colleges, craft classes, and even engineering laboratories.
The high-tech ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the layer of air between it and the inner case. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
Large Yet Portable
The SC-2 can hold three shelves of silver clay yet is portable enough to take with you to classes. Program the firing schedule that is perfect for your projects. You are not stuck with preset programs. The programmer turns itself off after the firing is completed. (Please note, however, that you should be near the kiln at the expected shutoff time.) The SC-2 is great in classrooms because the elements are embedded in ceramic fiber.
Even Heat Distribution
The newest SC-2 has two separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element. Extensive testing shows that the heat distribution in the current SC-2 is more even throughout the firing chamber, because heat does not build up in the back of the kiln.
Affordable, Easy to Program
The SC-2, for a digital kiln, is surprisingly affordable and proudly made in the U.S.A. to exacting standards. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time.
The fast-firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell. Each SC-2 includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf.
- On/off toggle switch
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
- Door opens 180 degrees for easy loading
- The case is slotted for air circulation.
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times.
- The embedded element heats from the two sides for improved heat distribution.
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
- Optional SC-2 glass view port
- Optional 6 1/2” wide bead door with mandrel holder
- Colorful 28-page kiln instruction manual (In addition, the kiln also comes with a separate controller manual.)
The Amazing Digital Controller
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Non-Ceramic Paragon Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual (separate from the kiln manual). Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide
The SC-2 can ship by UPS for lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Have something good to say about the SC2? Tell Us
"When my first Paragon SC-2 arrived for firing fine silver metal clay in 2006, it sat in my garage studio for three months because I was afraid to turn it on or try to program it. This is a kiln with a digital controller used to fire a material that technically can sinter in 1/2 hour or less. Now, seven years later, I have two SC-2s. I enamel and I also fire base metal clays and generally have one or the other going. Getting over the fear factor was a great benefit for my hobby." - Anne Bellissimo, Wilton Manors, FL