Paragon CS-16D Glass Fusing Kiln
Paragon’s square CS-16D digital glass clamshell kiln is easy to load, because the top lifts out of the way. The 16” x 16” interior costs only a little more than a standard 14” x 14” clamshell kiln, yet the CS-16D is 20 percent larger--and it fires on a 120 volt, 20 amp outlet.
Explore the wonderful world of fusing by making glass murals, small glass bowls, pendants, earrings, cufflinks, and even bracelets. Try out the newest glass techniques that you see in magazines or classes. Enjoy glittering dichroic glass. Make gifts that your friends will treasure. When you own an innovative Paragon CS-16D clamshell, you can experiment with glass fusing to your heart’s content. The possibilities are endless. Find rejuvenation at the end of a long work by creating artwork in your own kiln.
The CS-16D heats from the top for even heat distribution across the glass surface. The lid elements are mounted in pinless element grooves. Element pins are no longer needed because the element coils are wider than the groove opening. This innovation idea helps eliminate dust inside the kiln.
Kiln Lifts Out of the Way for Hassle-Free Loading
The kiln lifts up and out of the way so you can assemble glass pieces inside the kiln directly onto a shelf. Add stringers and frit to delicate designs. When the kiln is full, lower the kiln over the shelf. Imagine how easy that is.
The kiln is easy to open because of three counter-weight springs mounted under the kiln. The kiln base extends 4” in the back to support the weight of the kiln when in the open position. The base comes with mar-proof rubber feet.
The CS-16D is dual-opening: You can open the kiln by lifting the kiln body or by lifting only the lid. Lift the kiln body out of the way to assemble glass directly on the shelf; open the lid to load glass over a slumping mold.
The CS-16D can be opened by lifting the kiln body or the kiln lid, but never both at the same time. The kiln is equipped with safety latches on the side. The gravity-operated top latch holds the lid closed; the lever-operated bottom latch holds the kiln body closed.
Protective Steel Lid Cover
The top of the lid is protected with a painted sheetmetal cover. The sheetmetal is bent to cover the sides of the lid and then welded at the corners. You will be amazed at the sturdy construction that has made Paragon kilns renowned among glass fusers. The self-adjusting lid floats at fusing temperatures.
Optional Ceramic Fiber Top
The standard CS-16D comes with an insulating firebrick top. You can also upgrade your kiln with the optional deluxe ceramic fiber top, which has the same type of pinless groove as the standard top. The fiber top helps keep the kiln interior even cleaner.
Reliability at the Heart of the Kiln
The CS-16D has a two-year warranty. The temperature sensor, called a thermocouple, is protected with a high-nickel stainless steel cover for long life. A heavy steel base supports the reversible brick bottom completely. These features are extra assurance that your Paragon kiln is built to last. No extra stand is needed.
The reliable CS-16D has dual mechanical relays for long life. The digital controller sends a signal to the relays to turn on the heating elements. The two relays in the CS-16D last longer than the single relay of competitive kilns because of the reduced amperage going through each relay.
For your convenience, flip the switch on the front panel to turn off power to the controller when the kiln is not in use. The large, comfortable wooden lid and kiln handles stay cool.
The CS-16D is painted with a durable high temperature, water-base finish. We chose water-base paint because of the low emissions during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
Note: The bead door and high-temperature glass window are not available on the CS-16D. However, they are available on the CS-16S.
The Ease of Digital Firing
You will be amazed at the convenience of digital firing. The reliable solid-state Sentry Xpress controller continually monitors the firing so you do not need to closely watch the kiln. (Please remember, however, to check the kiln occasionally during firing and to monitor it near the expected shutoff time.) You can try out a demonstration of the controller on your computer by clicking here.
Paragon’s innovative controller will help you achieve consistent results from one firing to the next. The controller has powerful features that you will enjoy using. Yet the controller is also easy to learn. It comes with an instruction manual and Quick Start card.
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. Control both heating and cooling with simple 3-key operation.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon CS-series Kilns
- Program up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in Single Speed mode.
- Store up to 4 programs in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold without having to stop the kiln to reprogram. (For instance, you want to skip to the annealing segment.)
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the firing to reprogram.
- Easily control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Program an alarm that will remind you to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln at a time that best suits your busy schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review all the controller features in more detail.
Paragon kilns are made in America to exacting standards.
The CS-16D Furniture Kit (Sold Separately)
Glass must be fired on a ceramic shelf; never directly on the kiln firing chamber bottom.
1 – 14” x 15” x 5/8” Shelf
4 - 1” wide Square Posts, ½” long
1 lb. Bag Glass Separator